You are here

What documents do I need to get Deferred Action (DACA)?

Created August 22, 2012

When you apply for Deferred Action, you must attach documents to your application that prove you qualify. If you do not attach these documents, you will not get Deferred Action. Find the documents you have which show you meet the requirements. Attach these documents to the main application form (I-821D):

Proof of identity

  • Passport
  • Birth certificate with photo identification
  • School or military ID with photo
  • Any U.S. government immigration or other document bearing your name and photo

Proof you came to the U.S. before your 16th birthday

  • Passport with admission stamp
  • Form I-94/I-95/I-94W
  • School records from the U.S. schools you have attended
  • Any Immigration and Naturalization Service or DHS document stating your date of entry (Form I-862, Notice to Appear)
  • Travel records
  • Hospital or medical records

Proof of immigration status

  • Form I-94/I-95/I-94W with authorized stay expiration date
  • Final order of exclusion, deportation, or removal issued as of June 15, 2012
  • A charging document placing you into removal proceedings

Proof that you were in the U.S. on June 15, 2012, and that you have been living in the U.S. since June 15, 2007


You can still apply for DACA even if you traveled briefly outside the U.S. between June 15, 2007 and June 15, 2012.

  • Rent receipts or utility bills
  • Employment records (pay stubs, W-2 Forms, etc)
  • School records (letters, report cards, etc)
  • Military records (Form DD-214 or NGB Form 22)
  • Official records from a religious entity confirming participation in a religious ceremony
  • Copies of money order receipts for money sent in or out of the country
  • Passport entries
  • Birth certificates of children born in the U.S.
  • Dated bank transactions
  • Social Security card
  • Automobile license receipts or registration
  • Deeds, mortgages, rental agreement contracts
  • Tax receipts, insurance policies

Proof that you are in school, have graduated or gotten a GED at the time you apply for DACA

  • School records (transcripts, report cards, etc) from the school that you are currently attending in the United States showing the name(s) of the school(s) and periods of school attendance and the current educational or grade level. Education, literacy, career training programs, and GED programs can count as school.
  • U.S. high school diploma or certificate of completion
  • U.S. GED certificate

If you are a veteran, proof you were honorably discharged from the U.S. Armed Forces or Coast Guard 

  • Form DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty
  • NGB Form 22, National Guard Report of Separation and Record of Service
  • Military personnel records
  • Military health records

Get Legal Help

Before you talk to USCIS always speak with an Immigration Specialist.

Ask a Law Librarian

If it's
9am and 4pm